Weeknight dinners that can be made in under 30 minutes are my favorite. Healthy, filling meals? Awesome. Vegan? Even better! Since my wedding is in less than 6 months, I’ve been searching the internet looking for the best, tried and true healthy recipes so I can make them in a pinch and know I’ll enjoy it. I think I found the perfect meal!
I stumbled upon Well and Full’s Vegan Buddha Bowl and couldn’t wait to give it a try. I love ALL of the ingredients and it’s a super balanced plate – with fluffy quinoa, spicy chickpeas, avocado, plenty of greens, and a red pepper sauce which I was pleasantly surprised with. I put my own spin on things but followed the recipe for the most part. I also doubled her original suggestions so I could take the leftovers in for lunch for the rest of the week! The below serves 4 🙂
- 2 cups drained and rinsed quinoa
- 4 cups of water
- 2 cans (30 ounces) of cooked chickpeas
- 2 tbs of olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp red pepper
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1 red bell pepper with ribs and seeds demoved
- 2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbs lemon juice (or, juice from 1 lemon)
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 3/4 cup of cilantro, pressed
- 2 avocados (half of one avocado per bowl)
- Chia seeds for garnish
- I used spring mix, but any dark leafy greens would be good!
1. Begin cooking quinoa according to instructions. You are to use 2 parts water for 1 part quinoa. Bring water to boil, pour in quinoa, bring to simmer, and let cook for 15 minutes uncovered. Remove from heat and make sure to let the quinoa sit until all water is absorbed.
2. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. In a bowl, combine chickpeas, oil, and seasoning. Mix until all are well coated. Cover baking sheet with aluminum foil and spread chickpeas evenly on the surface. Bake chickpeas for 14-18 minutes depending on how crunchy you would like them.
3. For the dressing, add all ingredients in a food processor or blender and blend until smooth. I used my Magic Bullet and puree’d it on medium for about 20 seconds.
4. Assemble! Cut avocado according to preference and add 1/4 of the quinoa and chickpeas. Add greens and cut avocado. Garnish with chia seeds and top with the red pepper dressing. Voila! You vegan chef you.